Phorest Salon Software powers over 7,000 hair and beauty salons in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Australia, Finland and the USA and the platform processes 7 million appointments a month for beauty consumers. Phorest is the number 1 salon software brand for premium independent salons in those markets and our next goal is to double our footprint and become a platform upon which other companies can build applications for premium salons.
This opportunity is to join Phorest as Head of Engineering, to support the CTO to create and sustain a high performing, high output, world-class engineering team. This team will drive, execute, and deliver on our strategic goals.
This role is expected to have a large impact on the success of the team and the whole organisation. The successful candidate will be responsible for one of our core pillars in our strategy, along with shaping new ones and guiding and building out our infrastructure and infosec groups.
We’re looking to grow our development team along with the company's growth and need someone who can help us do this in a way that helps us keep pace with the growing needs of the company as well as maintaining the strong culture and behaviours we currently have.
- You will work with the CTO to help iterate on and share our engineering values on how we work, approach building products and support our customers as the platform grows.
- Spearheading and delivering strategic thrusts of the business to have massive impact on our salons and our growth.
- Identifying the most high-value functionality and projects, and keeping teams focused on these projects, driving their people to deliver value and in a fast feedback loop.
- Working with our engineering leaders to ensure they are successful in their roles, supporting them and identifying bottlenecks in the process and roadblocks to success.
- Working with the group to shape and deliver the infrastructure required to deliver our technical vision, an amazing and frictionless booking and CRM experience, while ensuring we are aware of and addressing infrastructure and security best practices
- Ensure that we are tracking the team's efficiency and quality of work. You will assist in regularly adjusting processes and timelines to ensure that top standard solutions are shipped.
- You should be comfortable coaching team members. You will communicate expectations clearly to all team members and solicit and deliver individual feedback frequently.
- Shape, manage, operate and deliver budgets which are aligned to our strategy and growth plans.
What do you need?
- 5+ years demonstrated impact in a similar leadership role, at scale
- The ability to lead your team to deliver on its roadmap in a predictable and sustainable, healthy way while building an inclusive, collaborative and high-performing team culture.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a similar related field
- The ability to collaboratively lead the evolution of your team’s strategy, setting unambiguous roadmaps and goals for the team and then delivering on them in a healthy, predictable and sustainable way.
- Experience managing people who manage others and see their role as one of empowerment and creating an environment to encourage visionaries (rather than necessarily always be a visionary themselves). You think deeply about how to hire, lead, organise, inspire and motivate.
- Experience developing and supporting engineers, and engineering leaders in their personal growth and career progression
- Strategic thinker, with an ability to to express and convey thoughts in meaningful ways in a fast paced and evolving environment, with a high degree of autonomy
- We understand work/life balance is so important. We offer flexibility around working in the office or remotely. If you do want to join us in our office, we have an excellent city centre location which you can easily get to from all parts of the city.
- Your wellbeing is important to us - we provide private healthcare, an employee assistance program and a free online GP service (WebDoc).
- As part of our Financial Wellbeing, we provide competitive Compensation, an Employee Share Purchase Scheme, Pension, Life Assurance, and Income Protection.
- We help you travel by providing a bike to work scheme as well as tax saver transport tickets.
- We care for your family and provide Enhanced Maternity and Paternity benefits.
- We grow our own timber! We provide a great learning environment including an extensive onboarding program.
- We don’t believe in formal dress codes. We prefer business casual.
Want to learn more about Phorest and our interview process? Check out nothingventured.rocks for our blog and Insights on building an evergreen company from the team here at Phorest. We have also created an Interview README with an overview of how the process works for development candidates.